Wednesday, June 29, 2011

One Patient At A Time

This past weekend I had the opportunity to work with the organization Real Hope For Haiti. They are located in Cazale, Haiti which is about an hour and thirty minutes away from our guest  house in Port-au-Prince. I learned the organization is run but a family who moved to Haiti from the States quite some time ago. They operate a Rescue Center where malnourished children gain nutrition through a specialized peanut butter called Medika Mamba. Other services from this organization include operating a clinic during the week days and running a cholera house round clock. I was able to work the night shift at the cholera house the entire weekend...

When I arrived in Cazale last Friday it was around 6:30p.m. I was given a quick tour of where I would be staying, ate supper, and headed to the cholera house on top of the hill. All cholera shelters must be located away from civilization as government ordered to decrease the chances of spreading and contamination. On the way up I was handed an head light, a pen, and marker and was told I would be needed these items. I was also informed there was no electricity,no running water, and no one that spoke English at the facility. I didn't respond because my mind started racing with questions and concerns; I was silently freaking out. I tried to remember what little Creole I knew and none of it was medical related. Fear of failure crossed my mind especially after I walked through the gates of the facility. 
Patients were everywhere, even outside. The facility reached capacity and had started moving patients in one tent located in back and the remainders at the entrance of the house. I was told there were almost 80 patients total and that only two nurses would be on duty that night... and one of them was me. 
Inside the facility it was hard to get around due to numerous cots back to back and wall to wall. I saw 2 and sometimes 3 patients to one cot. It was dark and I started realizing the purpose of the tools I had been handed; the head light to assess patients and start IV's, the permanent marker to label IV bags, the pen to chart. I glanced at the charts and realized it was all in creole. I didn't understand the majority of it and realized the owner had already left before I could ask her what it meant. I calmly panicked in my mind and started praying. I prayed not to be able to get through the night but to take each patient one by one and serve them to the best of my ability. I was fearful to make mistakes but then remembered God is always with us in the darkest of places.
I stayed busy and started gaining more confidence with each patient I cared for. Before I left the states I had always had trouble starting IV's where I worked but the first night at the clinic I didn't miss one stick. I had no experience starting IV's on children due to restrictions in my State but I quickly learned it's not much different from starting one on an adult. The first child I stuck was an angel and didn't flinch or cry. I knew this had to be rare but was grateful my first experience was smooth.
We had four admissions that night. I have been told people will walk 6 hours or more to reach this facility. The minute they feel bad they start walking and by the time they get to the facility some are near the brink of death. The pattern of admissions was very much like the States; they all come at once or they don't come at all. The first 2 admits weren't severe and were put on oral rehydration solution with no IV required. The third admission was so severe she had to be carried in. She was so frail and continuously vomited while I tried to start her IV. I finally got the IV started and set her up to fluids then laid her to rest. 
By the end of the shift I felt as though I had done good work but not as good as I wanted. I felt bad about neglecting the charts and wished I had knew more creole. I walked down the hill and thought of all the things I could've done better. When I got to the guest house I passed out immediately. When I woke the owners had informed me the Haitian nurse was very impressed with me the night before. This was a surprise because I personally felt I didn't meet their expectations. It made me feel really good and excited to work the next two nights. Before work the next night I wrote down and memorized all the creole phrases that I needed the night before. Work that night went so smooth and I was able to chart and communicate with all the patients. I felt much better coming out of that shift than I did with the first shift. As I look back on this experience I can't believe I made it out okay when faced with so many challenges. Despite the challenges it always felt right being there. I never felt out of place or desired to go home. I hope to work there again before I head back home.

I will warn you the pictures of the cholera house are not my best. I felt rude taking pictures in this environment. Sorry for the blurriness, darkness, etc. Here is a link to Real Hope For Haiti's blog. They have taken many photos of the facility in the daytime. http://www.realhopeforhaiti.org/
Also if anyone is interested in using my photos please credit them back to my blog. My main goal in sharing my blog is to educate others through my stories and photos. I appreciate you all helping me spread the word. Thank you!

Cazale. This was taken outside of the guest house gates.

View from the front porch of the guest house.


 4 babies to a cot. These babies were all from the Rescue Center.

One of the rooms.

The facility had 4 large rooms for patients, one room for staff, and two rooms for storage and waste.

The front of the facility. Family and patients wait for care.

Another room.

 The waste management room. The majority of these buckets were filled with waste. Each bucket is treated to kill the cholera before it is dumped in the back of the facility.


"Pyxsis" station. All IV supplies and medications located here.

I took this one morning outside of the guest house. There is a tent set up in the front of guest house for critical babies. They are placed closer to home to keep a close eye on their care. So cute.

This is Dagenor. I fell in love with him! He is from the tent but has gotten better over the weeks. Now he mainly hangs out at the house with the staff. He was so smart.

This is a photo of one of the toddlers from the Rescue Center. 

 Rescue Center toddler.

Rescue Center: This was the babies room. It's bath time!!

Feeding area. I wish I could've seen it in action.

My little friend, Dage.




5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what happened to the settings on this post. I tried to change the white background back to normal but am having no luck finding the correct settings. If anyone knows how to change this back to normal please feel free to comment. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it's just some errant code...without going into the HTML, I can't tell you how to fix it, but I just wouldn't worry about it. Your post is wonderful as-is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bre! Great job at the cholera house! I'm glad you were able to memorize some creole before returning the next night. In the education program we are taught to constantly self reflect. You did just that by thinking back to what you could have done better. There is ALWAYS room for improvement and I'm glad you can think of ways to improve yourself to better serve your patients. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, you've grown so much mentally, emotionally, and religiously. Love it! Very inspired by you!

    SC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bre, you are so inspiring. The work you did at the cholera house is brilliant! I can't imagine being put in a situation where you can't read charts, and you persevered with flying colors. CONGRATULATIONS! With every blog I read, and I am more and more impressed with you. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete