Friday, July 15, 2011

This. Is. Haiti.

 Young girl swiftly crossing the road

 CoLoRs

 Tried to catch this taxi flying by. Four passengers including two young girls. This is Ayiti.

 They call him Alejandro.

 Luly's new school still in the making.




 The new school. This was more than I expected!

 Children of Luly.

 Crystal. We sectioned out Luly into different categories for our survey. That day we counted 135 families in category A alone. Many more sections to go!
It was extremely hot that day so after our work was done we headed down to the beach with all of the children we accumulated during survey work. Alex, Steph, Crystal, and I jumped in the Caribbean with our clothes on and all of the children of Luly stripped and followed. Afterward they lead us to a freshwater stream to wash off. We saw a few ladies washing clothes and Steph and Crystal learned how to scrub clothes correctly. It sounds so simple but it was such a special moment. Regardless of the communication barrier we as humans can always find a way connect and share a moment. It was so fun building these relationships.

 On our way back home from Luly.

 Sunset.

New medical team here this week from many different places.

 View from the clinic we put on this week. It was near Camp Kid.

 In the waiting line...

 It hurts me to look at this photo. We saw this little girl in clinic and noticed she was badly malnourished. I started her on Medika Mamba the following day and didn't get the results I was hoping for. The girl threw up each bite given so I headed back to the clinic to seek advice. The doctors believed the infant needed hospitalization because we didn't have the equipment to accurately diagnose her. I returned to the mothers home to inform her of the news. Apparently the mother had some luck in keeping a few bites of the Medika Mamba down so we told her we would give her a week to try it out. Otherwise I'm hoping we can find a hospital for this baby.

 Taking a short cut through Cite Soleil, one of the poorest and most dangerous slums in the Western Hemisphere. I'm always curious about this place..

 The UN will always be found in this area.



 Peter took us to Rosembert for a tour. This was one families home post earthquake.

 This is their new home World Wide Village has provided through donations. Each home costs around $5,000.

 Recharging the cell. I want one of these.

Clothesline photos are a joy

 At clinic today with the team.

Started this poor man on IV fluids the moment he walked in. We believe he had TB after hearing his symptoms. We treated his hyperglycemia, dehydration, and pain. He walked out of clinic looking like a new man.


Crystal and I will be heading out to Arcahaie with the medical team to work the clinic all weekend. More stories to share next week. Have a good weekend and goodnight!

2 comments:

  1. The school looks great! There is always so much to be done but day by day every little bit helps. Give Peter a great big hello from Carol, I was going to send him a text message but I have two phone #'s and can't remember which one is the correct one to use. Tell him I am saving my pennies to make good on my promise to return and the ladies are sewing dresses like crazy for him to hand out. It is fun to sew them on the children in the photos.

    Keep on blogging it is fun to read all of the insights from all the interns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol,
    Thank you for following my blog. I told Peter about you and he remembered you and "all the ladies" right away. He said " that is one group I will never forget. Those ladies were a lot of fun." I will tell him hello from you and that you hope to return very soon!

    ReplyDelete